This was footage filmed when doing the shoot for the 48hr film festival film. The run down house we filmed around and included in the backdrop of that film is very interesting – it was built at some point in the 1850′s from locally quarried limestone.
The part of south St Louis (off Broadway) seems close to downtown now (its about 7 miles south of downtown), but back in the 1850′s this area was a separate city called Carondelet. Carondelet was a french settlement founded in 1767 (originally called Louisburg) that was known for it’s poverty and lively entertainment activities.
Carondelet was incorporated in 1832 and grew rapidly with immigration of German, English and Irish residents. During the civil war Carondelet was a thriving industrial area.
In 1870 Carondelet was annexed into the City of St Louis.
The house still stands structurally but is missing its roof and other things like a door and windows – it is likely that it had a cellar at one time and later the area was filled with dirt. It is currently undergoing restoration and it is planned to turn it into a small art gallery.
It’s definitely a building that stands out and harks back to a time when St Louis was a very different place – over the years the many stories of the city, the hardships people endured and the gradual building of what the area is today is easily forgotten. This building is a rare reminder of times gone by.
The music for this 2 min film was quick to record. The start was taken from Google maps and then a sepia tone filter added over before the footage of the house begins.